The mission of the American Academy for Liberal Education (AALE) is to promote excellence in liberal education by providing recognition of schools and programs that maintain the highest standards of liberal arts learning.
AALE achieves its mission by articulating standards designed to support excellence in liberal arts learning and teaching, offering rigorous peer-review accreditation, and fostering dialogue on the ends and means of quality liberal arts education.
- maintain accreditation standards that best support and recognize excellence in liberal arts learning and teaching;
- provide a peer-review process that carefully evaluates the purposeful crafting by an institution of its liberal arts core curriculum, general education or specific liberal arts program and allows for recognition of the diverse ways the ends and means of quality liberal education can be achieved;
- advance qualitative and quantitative assessment measures that effectually address liberal arts learning outcomes;
- support our members’ efforts to advance best practices for high student achievement of liberal arts learning objectives, promote the importance of teaching and instructional practices suitable for liberal education, and develop innovative ways to foster life-long learning that prepares students for productive engagement with the world;
- leverage the collective experience of our members to address the challenges facing liberal education in the 21st century.